Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Wave Simulator

I found the wave simulator quite interesting, and there are a few tests I conducted to see what would happen.


The first test I did was to see how would high frequency affect the features of the wave. I saw that the wavelength of the wave got noticingly shorter, and that there were much more waves, then there were when the frequency was lower. The waves moved much faster, as well. I also saw that the waves on the graph got much faster, and smaller, as the frequency increased.

The wave graph when the frequency is higher.


The wave graph when the frequency is lower.

The  next test I did was to see how waves would react once you put a barrier in. For this test, I put both the amplitude, as well as the frequency at the middle. Once the waves hit the barrier, they came back, creating the illusion that there are much more waves, and that the frequency suddenly got higher. Another thing I noticed is that when some of the waves passed the barrier (because of the gap that was left), their wavelength got much shorter, and the waves spread out. A diffraction occured.                   


For my last test, I did  a similar thing as I did above, except I put the barrier in the middle of the tray. I found that the exactly same things happened. The waves bounced off the barrier, following the Law of Reflection. The waves hit the surface which they could not pass thorugh, and they bounced back. Both the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection were the same. Diffraction also occured.


One more thing I noticed throughout all the test that I did is that the amplitude does not affect the waves' frequency, whasoever. When I made the amplitude really high, and really low, the frequency was still the same. Amplitude didn't affect the wavelength, either. The frequency and the wavlength was the same, when the water drops were small, and when they were really big.

1 comment:

  1. These were very good observations and I like the fact that you discussed each image that you placed on the post. One thing you may want to add is the link so that other people could see where you got the simulator from. Good job!

    ReplyDelete