Monday, March 14, 2011

Properties of sound (amplitude, frequency, pitch, etc)

This lab was supposed to help us determine how changing amplitude and frequency can change the sound percieved. We paired up with someone else, and we were supposed to have one person tighten the thicker rubber band, and the other person pluck it. Firstly, we were supposed to plucj it from the distance of one centimeter, two centimeters, three centimeters, and then finally four and five centimeters. My hypothesis is that the higher we pull one part of the band, the louder the sound will be. However, I am really not sure about the pitch.

My conclusion is that the thicker rubber band acted as a guitar string. As you know, as you pluck the guitar string more, the louder the sound it would be. I can conclude this because the more you pluck the string, and the further you take it back, the bigger disturbance you are causing to the air particles, and therefore, the vibrations will cause a louder sound, and a higher pitch.
I found this experiment very interesting, and it deepened my understanding of the sound waves, as well as what can cause bigger and smaller disturbances, and vibrations. I would have liked to do this experiment with a thinner band, because I think that the pitch would be even higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment